Colonel Sahr David Thomas Ngaujah formerly of the Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces (RSLAF) has been appointed Deputy Director General of the Sierra Leone Correctional Services (Prisons).
Colonel Ngaujah has a Master of Arts Defense Studies (2016), Kings College, London United Kingdom, Bachelor of Science with Honors (BSc Hons.) Information Systems, Master of Arts (MA) Defence Studies (2016), Kings College London, United Kingdom, CMI Level 7 Extended Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership, Chartered Management Institute (CMI) (2016), London, United Kingdom (UK), Master of Science (MSc) Military Studies (2014), Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), Dhaka, Bangladesh, Master of Public Sector Management (2012), Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), Accra, Ghana.
June 2020 to Present:
Team Lead, Technical Support Team to the Sierra Leone Correctional Service (SLCS) and Director of Security and Operations, SLCS, Jomo Kenyata Road, Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- Serving as the substantive Director of Security & Ops and Team Lead, Technical Support Team, Sierra Leone Correctional Service (SLCS), managing the security system of the SLCS nationally.
- Advise the Director General (DG) on all security risk management matters, policies and procedures.
- Lead the security management team and assist the DG with internal correctional officer and inmate investigation
- Chair all the security meetings, building consensus to ensure alignment and support for security operations and initiatives
- Ensure forecasting of the evolving security environment and, the SLCS’s security and operational responses. Using analytical techniques and collaborative team research, supports planning and ensure awareness of the current trends to enhance or adjust security programmes.
- Strengthen awareness and capacity of personnel by supporting the development, updates and delivery of contextually relevant security and in-service training and advice.
- Ensure the conduct of security surveys and assessments, creatively leveraging tools and processes, identifying and recommending simple, reasonable, inclusive, effective and efficient security measures, including when there is incomplete, contradictory and/or fluid information.
- Ensure implementation and maintenance of a functioning Security Communication System.
- Ensure conduct of budget, finance and logistical planning for the security directorate and participation in relevant Correctional Service administration, finance, and logistics forums. Support resource mobilisation.
- Lead and manage the security directorate, develop strategic goals, objectives, plans for the delivery of the substantive activities of the directorate and implement corresponding outputs; anticipate human resources needs through workforce planning; assess performance and support the development of security personnel under my supervision.
- Developed a Security Plan for the Sierra Leone Correctional Service
- Did two assessments (general and managerial) of all the correctional centres, and made recommendations for government support and reforms of the service
- Set up an Integrated Security Unit, Corrections Intelligence unit, Incident Control Room and a Corrections Security Operations Centre to improve the security, safety and operations of the Service
- Facilitated a senior management seminar for the training of 25 senior managers to improve managerial efficiency and effectiveness within the SLCS, and secured training support from the police and military for the training of middle and junior level staff
September 2019 – June 2020
- Director Defence Intelligence and Security, Ministry of Defence, Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces, Tower Hill, Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- Directed the RSLAF Military Intelligence infrastructure and the Force Intelligence and Security Unit (FISU) to ensure the unit’s output supports Chief of Defense Staff (CDS) and Commanders Directives.
- Linked in with the intelligence community at national level while maintaining intelligence standard at the MoD.
- Gave guidance for intelligence training and development directives, ensuring intelligence equipment and information Technology (IT) is in line with the CDS’s Intelligence Requirement (IRs)
- Ensured a level, healthy and safe environment at work is maintained within Intelligence units
- Provided budgetary advice to Assistant Chief of Defense Staff Operations/Plans (ACDS Ops/Plans) to ensure delivery of Military Intelligence (MI) within a credible degree.
- Led the development of inclusive risk management strategies and drove planning using situational awareness, critical thinking, and logic to detect and interpret early signals, emerging trends and analysis of multi-dimensional threats that may impact security. Identified the strengths and weaknesses of different solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Led the preparation, review and implementation of security planning, security risk management documents and security solutions through innovation and creativity. Ensured written analysis of security trends and timely reporting of incidents. Participated in meetings, committees, and task forces, prepared papers on security issues, delivered briefings, provided responses, as needed.
- Oversaw complex security-related projects, prioritizing work to meet deadlines and following defined processes, policies, procedures and guidance, fostering alignment with colleagues and across organizations.
His achievements include developing a security plan for the Sierra Leone Correctional Service, facilitating a senior management seminar for the training of 25 senior managers to improve managerial efficiency within the SLCS and secured training support from the police and military for the training of middle and junior level staff.
From August 2017-Auigust 2019, he served as Military Advisor, United Nations Mission in Somalia.
He has experienced in leadership, management and security sector reform, setting up of new establishments and institutional reform, information management with strong organizational skills and analytical at initiating and delivering research-driven solutions, strong organizational leadership, strategic planning, coordination and information management skills.
Other experiences include ability to develop and communicate clear organizational project for all stakeholders, ability to create and capitalize on professional networks and connections, experienced at communicating and interacting effectively at all levels, with government ministers and advisers, and with grassroots community leaders, members and organizations, proven ability to understand and effectively communicate technical concepts to the widest possible audience, experienced at initiating and delivering research-driven solutions to engage, attract and maintain audience, and build organizational brand and reputation, an experienced team player and leader with the ability to proactively create new opportunities and personal Integrity and highest degree of discretion.