This is a great opportunity for an experienced technical leader to join Africa Young Voices Media Empire (AYV). We’re recruiting for an IT Broadcast Manager to be part of our Broadcast ecosystem and IT Infrastructure teams.
AYV is a leading media company providing cutting-edge communication solutions across the world. AYV operates three television channels, radio, newspaper, and a printing press. AYV also broadcasts on DStv Channel 399 in Sierra Leone and across Africa.
AYV International is headquartered in London, United Kingdom with networks across the world including in Africa, Asia, Europe, Pacific, the Americas, and Caribbean.
AYV has established a strategic partnership with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), the world service programme in London. This partnership offers both AYV and the BBC a world – class broadcasting platform and resources for audiences across the world.
The AYV’s reputation and the strength of its brand in Sierra Leone and around the world are based upon its fundamental values of editorial integrity, independence, and impartiality. These values are central both to the AYV’s Public Services and our Commercial Services.
AYV’s approach to coverage and public engagement is based on 3 key principles (ABC): Audience First, Best Practices & Regulatory Standards and Contents Fit for Purpose.
The IT Broadcast Manager will provide Broadcast and IT infrastructure support for all AYV television channels, radio and online platforms and will occasionally support production programmes. They should be prepared to embrace a learning environment, train others and be eager to seek out opportunities to expand knowledge and experience of the technical role through formal training and other opportunities.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience.
- Significant experience in management of hardware and software engineering teams, including staff training, mentoring and development.
- Experience in broadcast, IT systems, hardware and software, along with a track record of working in the media, communication, and technology sectors.
- Expertise in systems administration, network security/engineering.
- Expertise in design, delivery, testing and support of technical IT systems and infrastructure within a media environment.
- Knowledge and application of some key technologies including: Satellite Services, encryption, Fibre media delivery, Video encoding / decoding, Video router control, Onsite Infrastructure, Audio/Radio (RF, Talkback, etc), Video & audio monitoring, encoders, decoders, rasterizers, video routers, servers.
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design).
- Expertise in database management and use in software applications, with excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills and good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles.
- Self-motivated and able to learn and resolve issues as they arise on the job, working with the wider team including IT Systems Engineers, Broadcast and Transmission Managers to help them plan and prioritize their work.
- Experience of working in diverse teams to deliver technical solutions from production requirements, using good communication, organization and professional skills to demonstrate resilience and deliver to deadlines.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities.
The main responsibilities include:
Creating an enabling IT Infrastructure (hardware and software)
- Responsible for installing and maintaining broadcast and computer hardware and software systems.
- Provide training, mentoring, coaching and managing of staff, ensuring high quality of their work and professional development.
- Perform configuration and troubleshooting of networking devices. These include, but not limited to, CLI-based device IP setup, firewall troubleshooting, VLAN and subnet configuration issues, identifying network routing problems, and multicast related issues.
- Perform configuration and troubleshooting of operating systems. These, include, but not limited to, Windows, Linux, Unix, MAC, and RTOS based system.
- Provide 24/7-hour support IT and system to all departments including network and server administration, software upgrades, ongoing maintenance, and repairs of all IT equipment/computers, printers, etc.
- Develop and maintain local networks, ensuring security and privacy of networks is set as needed; install and configure appropriate software and functions according to specification and updates.
- Research, design and implement broadcast and IT systems, testing and evaluating their suitability to the company.
- Creating, analyzing, reporting, converting and transferring data to applicable platforms.
Creating an effective Broadcast Ecosystem.
- Provide 24/7-hour support to all tv channels, radio and media platforms, ongoing maintenance and repairs of all broadcast equipment, and setup equipment for outside broadcasting and configurations of broadcast device.
- Provide technical support for all broadcast services related infrastructure, traditional playout systems, cloud-based video playout systems, distribution, and streaming technology.
- Perform configuration and troubleshooting of complex broadcast playout support systems, including, but not limited to, baseband video/audio, encoding, multiplexing, and RF.
- Perform configuration and troubleshooting of infrastructure equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, servers, mass storage devices, broadcast proprietary devices, and IT infrastructure equipment.
- Provide additional support for non-linear workflows and systems. This primarily involves various transcoding farms, autoQC, and orchestration tools. These include, but not limited to, hardware, software agents, encoding, file codecs, subtitling and transcoding related issue.
- Responsible for all video and sound operation of broadcast desks, including live transmission and recording, both in studio and from outside locations, including basic editing.
- Responsible for handling problems encountered with live transmissions, taking account of editorial priorities and availability of resources often in high pressure situations.
- Responsible for carrying out the necessary planning to ensure that all required facilities and arrangements are available in the studio (and where appropriate for outside broadcast).
- Booking and coordinating production facilities.
Creating a safe and secured AYV online/digital platform.
- Provide 24/7-hour support to all AYV online/digital platforms, including social media, website, streaming apps, ongoing updates and streaming of key programmes.
- Fully and accurately capturing and managing data in line with AYV guidelines and policies.
- Responsible for Integrating media and software systems with existing and new monitoring and support online tools.
- Responsible for storing, transferring files, and uploading broadcast materials, using appropriate file types and protocols, both online and offline.
Contract/Salary: to be negotiated.
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Excellent professional progression: AYV offers great opportunities for AYV people to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the company.
Training and development opportunities: our in-house AYV Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external training with the possibility of certification.
Please note that the application process will require you to submit a CV and application to:
email@example.com. Closing date: 28th March 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.