36.5 C
Sierra Leone
Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Woman Accuses Tourism Ministry of Illegal Demolition

HomeAYV NewsWoman Accuses Tourism Ministry of Illegal Demolition

Woman Accuses Tourism Ministry of Illegal Demolition

Date:

Related stories

Sierra Leone Brewery initiates Sorghum Cultivation, Awareness Campaign

Sierra Leone Brewery Limited (SLBL) has embarked upon the...

“All legitimate WASSCE students will surely take the exams” – Hon. Jabbie assures

Honorable Alpha Fode Maadie Jabbie, Member of Parliament for...

Supreme Court Judge receives ECOWAS Court delegation

One of the senior judges in the Judiciary of...

Information Minister condemns attacks on Press Freedom

The Minister of Information and Civic Education, Chernor Bah,...

400 hectares of onion farm harvested in Sierra Leone

President Julius Maada Bio has joined the management of...

She disclosed that the court had earlier ruled in her favor and ordered the Ministry to rebuild her structure or face 3 months imprisonment but the Ministry failed to adhere to the court order since it was made in December 2015.

According to Metzger the land was given to her by the late President Kabbah as a sign of appreciation for the things she did for the country during the war. She maintained that the land was for use as a recreation center, restaurant, skills training center for interested people to learn singing local music, arts and crafts amongst others.

“Beach is not only for adult enjoyment. It can also be a place for children to learn skills and training to empower themselves,” Metzger said.

Almost in tears, she lamented that she had a concrete arrangement with the government and I acquired it legally and have paid all payments with regard the property she said, adding that she paid in full for the property to the government from 2001 to 2014.

She added that she started a building on the land in 2003 due to the unsettlement prevalent in the country during the war and finished the building in 2014, noting that Guicopres illegally demolished the structure she was erecting without any court order but with backing from the ministry.

“To my surprise the new minister of Tourism is a woman who should fight for me and my children looking at her academic background. Unfortunately, she is also giving deaf ears to the case just like her predecessors, and I am severely devastated, disappointed and dejected for being treated in this manner, Metzger told this press.

Speaking to AYV over the phone yesterday, the Minister of Tourism and Culture, Dr. Memunatu Pratt said efforts are underway to have the matter resolved amicably.

Latest stories

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once