Sierra Leoneans are convinced that the government of Sierra Leone is sponsoring its spin masters (‘small small boys’) to attack the review committee. The reason for the alleged abandonment of the committee by the government is not unconnected to the myth that the committee does not include the recommendations of the Ruling All People’s Congress Party in the report published by the committee.
The lack of adequate funding for the conclusion has been considered a slap to the committee (Justice Edmond Cowan) by the government (President Ernest Bai Koroma). Here are some of the recommendations:
1. No term extension or third term for a sitting president. Stick with the two terms as in 1991 Constitution
2. New section on natural resource management for the benefit of the people and empowers citizens to have access to natural resources.
3. The Attorney General’s office must be separated from the Minister of Justice
4. Socio-economic rights should now be legal rights enforceable in court of law like civil and political rights. Socio-economic rights include the right to education, shelter, work, home, and health.
5. A separate chapter in media and journalistic practice.
6. Right to environmental information and health environment
7. The president cannot remove his vice president…
8. A separate chapter on local government and local government autonomy
9. The establishment of the House of Chiefs separate from a second chamber
10. That a more progressive way of acquisition of citizenship be introduced without discrimination based on race and gender. Simply means changing the old laws which restricts citizenship to people of Negros African Descent.
11. Right of the aged persons
12. Rights of children
13. Right of people with disabilities
14. The term ‘supreme executive authority’ be removed from the constitution
15. There shall be a fixed date for holding national elections and swearing in the president
16. That loss of party membership shall not be a reason for sitting president and vice president to be removed from office
17. Financial autonomy of judicial
Now these are some of the most outstanding propositions of the CRC garnered from submissions from the general public.
Which progressive and patriotic minded Sierra Leonean will not support these extremely futuristic good governance amendments to our Constitution?